Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: A List-Manager Issue: Dealing with attacks via personal email.
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:22:15 -0800
To: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>, List-Managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 2/20/01 11:18 AM, "JC Dill" <inet-list @
 vo .
 cnchost .
 com> wrote:

> But after the poster posts and the replier replies/attacks in private email
> (following netiquette), what happens next?
>
> The simple solution is for the poster to use the "delete" function and
> ignore the unpleasant reply and not reply to the attacker.

I have real problems with this. I agree with you completely if it's
criticism. If oyu post an opinion on something, don't get upset if someone
disagrees, even strongly.

But abuse? We're not talking about the virtual equivalent of someone coming
up and yelling "you suck" in your face. We're talking about the virtual
equivalent of someone coming up and punching you in the face. They should
just take that stoically -- because why? Nobody would in real life. Why is
the virtual world different?

>  I belive people need to develop their own spines, I'm not
> running a list to be their surrogate mom.

So you don't see yourself as responsible for the actions done while people
are in "your house" and under your care?

> Stifling "free speech" in the name of having
> a "nice" list is heading down a slippery slope.  Personally I wouldn't do it.

But -- someone will. If you don't keep the trolls from abusing your other
users, the other users will shut up, and all you end up with is the trolls.
They drive everyone else off, and you end up with someone ELSE defining what
is and isn't acceptable on your list isntead of you.

[<chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> = <me @
 chuqui .
 com> = <chuq @
 apple .
 com>]

Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.