Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: A List-Manager Issue: Dealing with attacks via personal email.
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:54:38 -0500 (EST)
To: List-Managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> On 2/20/01 11:18 AM, "JC Dill" <inet-list @
 vo .
 cnchost .
 com> wrote:

> > But after the poster posts and the replier replies/attacks in private email
> > (following netiquette), what happens next?
> >
> > The simple solution is for the poster to use the "delete" function and
> > ignore the unpleasant reply and not reply to the attacker.
>
> I have real problems with this. I agree with you completely
> if it's criticism. If oyu post an opinion on something, don't
> get upset if someone disagrees, even strongly.
>
> But abuse? We're not talking about the virtual equivalent of
> someone coming up and yelling "you suck" in your face. We're
> talking about the virtual equivalent of someone coming up and
> punching you in the face. They should just take that
> stoically -- because why? Nobody would in real life. Why is
> the virtual world different?

I'd have to know what you meant by "abuse" in this case Chuq.
If someone is mail bombing, spamming, threatening physical
violence, attempting extortion, etc. in response to a post on my
list, I'd punt the abusive subscriber and advise the person who
was attacked to contact their ISP or the police...  How would you
define "abuse" by private email?  At what level of abuse would
you take action as a list-admin?  I'd have to know the
circumstances.  I'm more protective of newbies and others who
aren't well seasoned.  On the other hand, I don't want to take
sides in a random private flame war.  If memory serves, you and I
have swapped a few fairly spirited emails both private and
public.  As far as I know, neither of us got the list admin
involved.

- murr -