Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: A List-Manager Issue: Dealing with attacks via personal email.
From: "Amy Stinson" <amys @ amys-answers . com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:38:55 -0500
To: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ clovis . nerdnosh . org>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On 21 Feb 2001, at 6:38, Tim Bowden wrote:

> In my experience, the first-amendment libertarians
> are invariably new and passing; their focus is on their own delivery
> and never on group dynamics.

> Whereas, if my life hobby has been knitting, and I formed, formatted,
> formulated a group of likeminded souls over the years, and we each have
> great pride in our bunch, I will very definitely care if one of the
> contributing members is abused offlist by some dud who offers nothing else
> to us.

Are you writing about me?  I'm a card carrying Libertarian AND I just
happen to own the largest, longest running MACHINE Knitting list on
the internet, born out of my hobby.

Card carrying Libertarians know the difference between 1st amendment
rights and the kind of free speech you refer to.  The kind you refer
to is "license".  That is more an excess of "democracy" than a true
Libertarian stance.  I don't want to get into that too much other
than to say that a lot of misinformation gets passed around about
libertarian thought.

I am very protective of my brood, but I have a real problem with
members who flame off list.  Problem is no one will tell me who they
are.  So I can't deal with it.  But it makes people afraid to post to
my list, and that pisses me off.  My list is a mixture of well known
people in the industry, those who want to be well known in the
industry (those are the worst), and people who just want to learn.
We're talking about an average age of 60, basically computer
illiterate woman.  There are guys, both straight and gay, and a few
younger people (in their 30's and 40's) who are there, but the vast
majority are women who have a LOT of time on their hands.  It breeds
mischief.

I really enjoyed your post.

Amy

Listhost: Home of the original Machine Knitting lists
http://www.listhost.com/lists/index.html