Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: Confidentiality of member files - copyright
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:44:29 -0800
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 07:31 AM 2/24/01, James M Galvin wrote:
>This is all well and good and I'm sure that like us most companies who
>would make such a statement really do plan to stick to it.  The scenario
>to be concerned about though is what happens if and when the company
>"sells out."

Amazon.com, as you probably know, retroactively changed their privacy
policy and you did NOT have a chance to opt out. Their word was worth
the virtual paper it was (not) printed on!

I just heard that email subscriber databases are being viewed as
sellable "assets" in bankruptcy proceedings... the court-appointed
trustee is actually selling things in violation of the bankrupt
company's privacy policy.

Information basically cannot be protected, IMHO, and if you promise
to do what you cannot do you may be in trouble later.

SRE

mailto:eckert @
 climber .
 org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info @
 climber .
 org

      It may be that your whole purpose in life
      is simply to serve as a warning to others.