Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: Confidentiality of member files - copyright
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:43:20 -0800
To: Mikael Hansen <meh @ dnai . com>, List-Managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 2/28/01 7:05 AM, "Mikael Hansen" <meh @
 dnai .
 com> wrote:

> Indeed. But if what a small company decides to move its subscribers
> to, say, a Yahoo-based list without asking the subscribers first?
> They may not feel comfortable with such a move given less local
> control, and isn't there then more reason to worry about leakage?

These issues aren't all that new -- what if that restaurant you frequent
hires a new waiter, and he at some point in the past 'borrowed' a credit
card number and got caught? It's just that on the net, these things seem to
be more visible, or at least worry people more.

You're on mailing lists all over the place -- just ask your bank and your
credit card companies. And those get sold and lent all the time, and not
always to places that are squeaky clean. Do you worry or monitor those this
closely? (I know that some do; the other 98% of the universe doesn't).

You have to manage risk. You can't avoid it -- but I also don't think you
need to let yourself become paranoid over it, either. Some stuff just isn't
worth worrying too much about until it happens.

For whatever that's worth.

[<chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> = <me @
 chuqui .
 com> = <chuq @
 apple .
 com>]

I wish I could say your enthusiasm was contagious...