Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2003)

Subject: Re: Looking for explanatory for Precedence line
From: <mfidelman @ ntcorp . com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:14:44 -0500 (EST)
To: <billinghurst @ tpg . com . au>
Cc: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

>     AB> I have been asked some questions about the mailing list header
>     AB> line Precedence: ...  after having mail blocked by ISPs for
>     AB> use of the extension Precedence: junk and Precedence: bulk,
>     AB> both of which I understand are very appropriate for mailing
>     AB> lists.
>
>     AB> Now I can find brief reference to their use in the new
>     AB> Sendmail book BUT I am unable to find any RFC for their use
>     AB> from first principles or other places where I can read about
>     AB> these header lines in depth.
>
>     AB> Anyone got any pointers?

Look at documentation for sendmail (in this case, I'm pretty much quoting
from the O'Reilly Sendmail book).

Sendmail's config file lets you use precedence in at least two ways:

- to control a message's position among other messages in the queue, when
the queue
- to control whether or not a bounced message should be returned to its
sender