Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2003)

From: Loek Jehee <loekjehe @ xs4all . nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:44:47 +0100
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Thank you everybody for your support and your information.
Here follows an update on my actions to try to get my
mailing list unblocked by AOL.

I have sent a large message to the postmasters of AOL and
Compuserve (it seems that these two somehow are linked)
explaining the nature of my mailing list etc (see the message
below). Furthermore, I decided to inform the AOL subscribers
individually from another Email address which is not hosted
on the same server as the mailing list. Indeed it seems that
the subscribers didn't receive any of my prior messages to
them, so indeed I am banned. It is good to know that I can
reach them now using my other Email account. I am getting really
paranoia now, so I sent each of the 59 subsribers a separate
mail (I didn't want to Bcc them) and I sent each mail with an
interval of one minute, just to avoid any possibility that they
might think this is "yet another of my spams"....

I received confirmation from some subscribers that indeed they
didn't receive my earlier messages and they now wrote
Emails of complaint to the postmaster urging AOL to
"whitelist" my mailing list and threatening them to quit their
account. This might help. Let's wait and see. I didn't get
any reply from AOL on my message so far.

I am very much afraid that the recent Klesh type viruses
could soon create a situation in which all mailing lists will be
banned from large mail servers because we - as their
administrators - (and the Email address of the list itself)
will definitely exist in thousands of address books so the
chance that our address will be abused by a virus on an
affected computer is extremely high.

This might become the end of the phenomenon "mailing list".

Loek

-----

To: domains @
aol .