Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2003)

From: Bob Bish <bobbish @ earthlink . net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:00:30 -0700
To: Loek Jehee <loekjehe @ xs4all . nl>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 01:44 PM 1/23/2003, Loek Jehee wrote:
 they now wrote
Emails of complaint to the postmaster urging AOL to
"whitelist" my mailing list and threatening them to quit their
account. This might help. Let's wait and see. I didn't get
any reply from AOL on my message so far.

Good luck! AOL is a nasty, ugly monster which hates mailing lists! I had to move my lists to a new host because of their blocking of the mailinglists.org domain.

I am very much afraid that the recent Klesh type viruses
could soon create a situation in which all mailing lists will be
banned from large mail servers because we - as their
administrators - (and the Email address of the list itself)
will definitely exist in thousands of address books so the
chance that our address will be abused by a virus on an
affected computer is extremely high.

It's easy to keep viruses from going out over a list by setting a maxlength of a sufficiently small size to reject virus attachments (I have it set to 20K which has been enough) and to have restricted posting (the vast majority of viruses will come "from" an address which is not on your list because "From" fields are forged by the virus).

...Bob