Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2003)

Subject: Re: Check out AOL Users Missing Email??
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:25:33 -0500 (EST)
To: Loek Jehee <loekjehe @ xs4all . nl>
Cc: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Loek Jehee wrote:

> I definitely think we must find a way to sue AOL on this. It
> is totally unacceptable what they do.
>
> Please read below.
>
> AOL is keeping Email from their customers. This is against
> the law! Maybe we should get into legal action. Any lawyers
> on this list?

AOL blocking email from mailing lists is against what law?  I
could see AOL customers suing for over lousy service.  As far as
I know, service providers have no general legal obligation to
accept email from the Internet.  There may be a few exceptions
regarding court cases with specific providers and email senders.

- murr -