Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2003)

Subject: Re: Check out AOL Users Missing Email??
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:42:16 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On 27 Jan 2003 at 14:28, Al Iverson wrote:

> Having worked both the sender and recipient side of mailing lists, list
> management issues, spamblocking, and etc., I respect AOL's "our server,
> our rules" attitude towards mail inbound to AOL, and that I would
> recommend to my employer that they do the same.

And so the Internet schisms into 100,000 incompatible fiefdoms, all with
different [conflicting] rules and requirements and procedures.  One requires
the removal info in the header, another requires it in the footer, another
requires the "List-*" headers another forbids it, one blocks all messages that
are "Precedence: bulk" another requires that all mailing lists use "Precedence:
bulk", and so it goes... sigh...  What a wonderful world it will be....

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie @
 fantasyfarm .
 com     Pearisburg, VA