Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 1993)

Subject: Re: Big news: found the 14-character Majordomo deletion bug!
From: randy @ psg . com (Randy Bush)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1993 10:00:33 -0800 (PST)
To: brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM, kls @ ditka . chicago . com

> Karl Swartz (kls @
 ditka .
 chicago .
 com) just figured out the bug that's
> causing Majordomo files to get deleted: it was a bug in "shlock".

Thank you Karl!  I was getting very tired of perl in debug mode.

> shlock would create lock files by appending ".lock" to the file name.
> If the file name was already 14 characters or longer, the lock file would
> end up having the same name as the original file

In the long run, there may be only two solutions to the limit on filename
length.

  o the lists directory could have subdirectories for the different file
    types, as in
        lists
	   /auto
	   /closed
	   /info
	   /lists
	   /locks
	   /passwd
	   /private

    Note that this allows list names to be the full length allowed by the
    BDS (brain damaged system) file system.

  o have a translation table from listname to a short form, as in
        longlistname   l0
	longerlistname l1
    which is used by majordome and not by the MTA.

    Note that this does not allow list names to be the full length allowed
    by the BDS file system.

In the mid-run, I am giving up after four years of Xenix and going to BSDI.
Better to support lawyers than sexual harrassers. :-)